.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, September 10, 2005

My First exposure to triathlon and Ironman


Ironman 1982

The event becomes such a phenomenon that Bud Light pays to become title sponsor. The race attracts 580 contestants. Scott Tinley, a 25-year-old swim coach from San Diego, passes Dave Scott in the marathon and finishes in a record time of 9:19:41. Less than two hours later, the most memorable moment in race history occurs. Julie Moss, a college student competing to gather research for her exercise physiology thesis, steadfastly moves toward the finish line in first place despite becoming severely fatigued and dehydrated. In the homestretch, she staggers like a punch-drunk boxer. Just yards away from the finish line, she falls to the ground. Passed by Kathleen McCartney for the women’s title, Moss nevertheless crawls to the finish line. Her courage and determination inspires millions and creates the Ironman mantra that just finishing is a victory.

Like many people, I remember watching this on TV. Instead of wanting to do it, I just thought these people were crazy. I could/would NEVER do anything like this!. I'd love to be able to say that this (IM Hawaii) has been a lifelong dream, but it really hasn't. It seemed crazy & so far out of my reach..like something OTHER people did, not something that I could do. (of course, I still haven't DONE it... yet)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?